CHRIST IS RISEN!
Miracle of Holy Fire in Jerusalem
Maria C. Khoury, Ed. D.
April 26, 2008 – Pilgrims from all over the world gathered in Jerusalem today to witness the greatest of all miracles-the Miracle of the Holy Fire. The miracle has turned into a magnificent cultural event but many simply could not get anywhere near the Holy Sepulchre. The soldiers, the police, the large crowds, the noise, the drums of the Boys Scouts and the Girl Scouts anxiously waiting to receive the Holy Fire from the Life Giving Tomb of Christ is a day long adventure. It was a miracle in itself that Sam and Janet from our Sister Parish, Annunciation Church in Little Rock attended.
It was an exciting celebration with the sound of many languages at the same time where representatives of many churches from all over the Holy Land come to receive the Holy Fire and carry it back in small lanterns to their particular churches for the Midnight Resurrection Service. Special permits were issued for Christians from Gaza to enter Jerusalem but the large crowds meant no entry to the Holy Sepulchre.
It is on this Great and Holy Saturday that the Holy Fire was received by the Greek Orthodox Patriarch, His Beatitude Theopilus as it has been done every year, on the same day, in the same manner, at the same time, at the same holy place of Christ’s Life Giving Tomb. This is the miracle that allows us to believe that Christ is alive and offers eternal life. This is the miracle that tells us that Christ is truly among us. This powerful miracle is another way that God communicates. As we chant in our Midnight Resurrection Service: “Come ye and receive light from the unwaning Light, and glorify Christ, Who a rose from the dead.”
A spectacular parade was also held to receive the Holy Fire entering our village of Taybeh by five in the evening. The priests of all three churches, Fr. Daoud, Fr. Raed and Fr. Jack with the mayor of the village, my husband, David, led the faithful with the choir chanting to meet our cousin Ibrahim with his six year old son Philip who traditionally go to the city of Ramallah to receive the Light from a patriarchate representative who brings it from Jerusalem to Ramallah for all the Palestinian Christian communities that cannot reach the Holy City. Philip made his dad put a sign on the white car this year that read “Light of Christ,” and wanted to ride on top but was forced to patiently sit with the flame until he said “Christ is Risen” and gave it to the adults.
Eight years of violence in the Holy Land, back and forth, surely we have been living in the darkness of all evil where children do not even have a childhood. “And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.” (John 1:5) The strong Christian message on this holy day is that our hope lies in Christ and the streets were simply filled with faithful who came to witness in Christ’s love.
Thus today we all received the Light that proceeded from the core of the stone that covers Christ’s Life Giving Tomb and once again celebrated the oldest unbroken Christian ceremony that exists in the world. In Luke 16:15 we read that Jesus said: “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved” We witness the truth and received the Holy Fire today so that all who are not blessed to live in the land of Christ’s Holy Resurrection can believe that Christ is the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (John 1:9)
“And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And you are witnesses of these things.” (Luke 24:47)
Our Christian community is small and diminishing but with God’s help can survive the daily hardships that make life unbearable. Truly the Lord is Risen!
Paschal greetings and responses from around the world (thanks to Al Green, on the EasternOrthodoxy list):
- Aleut: Khristus anahgrecum! Alhecum anahgrecum!
- Aleut: Khris-tusax agla-gikux! Agangu-lakan agla-gikux!
- Albanian: Krishti U Ngjall! Vertet U Ngjall!
- Alutuq: Khris-tusaq ung-uixtuq! Pijii-nuq ung-uixtuq!
- Amharic: Kristos tenestwal! Bergit tenestwal!
- Anglo-Saxon: Crist aras! Crist sodhlice aras!
- Arabic: El Messieh kahm! Hakken kahm!
- Armenian: Kristos haryav ee merelotz! Orhnial eh harootyunuh kristosee!
- Athabascan: Xristosi banuytashtch’ ey! Gheli banuytashtch’ ey!
- Bulgarian: Hristos voskrese! Vo istina voskrese!
- Byelorussian: Khrystos uvaskros! Saprawdy uvaskros!
- Chinese: Helisituosi fuhuole! Queshi fuhuole!
- Coptic: Pchristos aftooun! Alethos aftooun!
- Czech: Kristus vstal a mrtvych! Opravdi vstoupil!
- Danish: Kristus er opstanden! Ja, sandelig opstanden!
- Dutch: Christus is opgestaan! Ja, hij is waarlijk opgestaan!
- English: Christ is risen! Indeed He is risen!
- Eritrean-Tigre: Christos tensiou! Bahake tensiou!
- Esperanto: Kristo levigis! Vere levigis!
- Estonian: Kristus on oolestoosunt! Toayestee on oolestoosunt!
- Ethiopian: Christos t’ensah em’ muhtan! Exai’ ab-her eokala!
- Finnish: Kristus nousi kuolleista! Totistesti nousi!
- French: Le Christ est ressuscite! En verite il est ressuscite!
- Gaelic: Taw creest ereen! Taw shay ereen guhdyne! (Phonetic)
- Georgian: Kriste ahzdkhah! Chezdmaridet!
- German: Christus ist erstanden! Wahrlich ist er erstanden!
- Greek: Christos anesti! Alithos anesti!
- Hawaiian: Ua ala hou ‘o Kristo! Ua ala ‘I ‘o no ‘oia!
- Hebrew: Ha Masheeha houh quam! Be emet quam!
- Hungarian: Krisztus feltamadt! Valoban feltamadt!
- Ibo ( Nigeria): Jesu Kristi ebiliwo! Ezia o’ biliwo!
- Indian (Malayalam): Christu uyirthezhunnettu! Theerchayayum uyirthezhunnettu!
- Indonesian: Kristus telah bangkit! Benar dia telah bangkit!
- Italian: Cristo e’ risorto! Veramente e’ risorto!
- Japanese: Christos fukkatsu! Jitsu ni fukkatsu!
- Javanese: Kristus sampun wungu! Tuhu sampun wungu!
- Korean: Kristo gesso! Buhar ha sho nay!
- Latin: Christus resurrexit! Vere resurrexit!
- Latvian: Kristus ir augsham sales! Teyasham ir augsham sales vinsch!
- Lugandan: Kristo ajukkide! Amajim ajukkide!
- Norwegian: Christus er oppstanden! Sandelig han er oppstanden!
- Polish: Khristus zmartwyckwstal! Zaprawde zmartwyckwstal!
- Portugese: Cristo ressuscitou! Em verdade ressuscitou!
- Romanian: Hristos a inviat! Adeverat a inviat!
- Russian: Khristos voskrese! Voistinu voskrese!
- Sanskrit: Kristo’pastitaha! Satvam upastitaha!
- Serbian: Cristos vaskres! Vaistinu vaskres!
- Slovak: Kristus vstal zmr’tvych! Skutoc ne vstal!
- Spanish: Cristo ha resucitado! En verdad ha resucitado!
- Swahili: Kristo amefufukka! Kweli amefufukka!
- Swedish: Christus ar upstanden! Han ar verkligen upstanden!
- Syriac: M’shee ho dkom! Ha koo qam!
- Tlingit: Xristos Kuxwoo-digoot! Xegaa-kux Kuxwoo-digoot!
- Turkish: Hristos diril – di! Hakikaten diril – di!
- Ugandan: Kristo ajukkide! Kweli ajukkide!
- Ukrainian: Khristos voskres! Voistinu voskres!
- Welsh: Atgyfododd Crist! Atgyfododd yn wir!
- Yupik: Xris-tusaq Ung-uixtuq! Iluumun Ung-uixtuq!
- Zulu: Ukristu uvukile! Uvukile kuphela!